Why is business and IS alignment important?
The current structure and future strategy of a business must be aligned with both IS and business to ensure that information is properly utilised to its maximum potential within a business.
Business and IS alignment are important because:
- It assures that all IT activities contribute to the goals, objectives and strategies of the business.
- It encourages executives to become continuously involved in plans and decisions in the use of IT
- It positions the IT organisation to best address the needs of the business.
- It creates a customer-focused culture in the IT organisation.
- It enhances awareness of the value of IT to the business.
- It is critical to the successful deployment of IT in a business.
- It improves productivity and the all-around efficiency of the organisation.
Boddy et al. (2009) give us a model that shows the alignment between IS and an organisation, in plans and in operations.
To learn more about how you can align your business and IS or for a digital maturity assessment, do not hesitate to contact us with this link.